Cherry Crisp

Cherry Crisp

Monday, February 4, 2013

Leftover Oatmeal Muffins

Ever wondered what to do with your leftover porridge? Here is a good way to use it up. I got the original recipe here but of course I tweaked it a little!

2 cups cooked oatmeal ( I used oatmeal cooked with apples)
1 1/2 cups flour ( I used 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1 cup white flour)
1/4 cup sugar (omit if the oatmeal is sweetened)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (reduce or omit if you salted the water for your oats)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 tsp apple pie spice (my addition)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (my addition)
1/3 - 1/2 cup whey - I found the batter too dry and needed to add more liquid to wet all the dry ingredients

Combine all ingredients and stir just until combined. Batter will be thick. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full and bake about 20 minutes at 375. Let cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe also works well as gluten free. You can use gluten free oats, and I like 3/4 cup sorghum flour and 3/4 cup brown rice flour to replace the all purpose flour. To make it dairy free I use dairy free milk with a little lemon juice to replace the whey. To make it sugar free, use 2-3 tbsp xylitol instead of sugar.

    ReplyDelete