Cherry Crisp

Cherry Crisp

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Chicken and Chickpea Stew

2 celery stalks
2 carrots diced
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
4 cups less sodium chicken broth
3 cups marinara sauce ( I use my homemade tomato sauce)
1 - 19 oz. can chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 -19 oz. can white kidney beans rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups dry short tube pasta
1/2 tsp. pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch cubes ( I've actually never made this with chicken as there is plenty of protein with the chickpeas and beans, but I'm sure it would taste good with chicken)
1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan ( I use mozzarella cheese as I don't have parmesan in the house)

IN large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot and saute until tender. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

ADD broth, marinara, chickpeas, kidney beans, pasta and pepper and bring to a boil.

REDUCE heat to low-medium and simmer until pasta is tender, about 10-12 minutes.

ADD chicken to pan and cook 3-5 minutes until chicken is done.

SPRINKLE with parmesan and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! This one has my diet written all over it! We will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete